eIDAS Notification of the German eID
On 22th August 2017, the Federal Republic of Germany has notified the German eID scheme in accordance with the eIDAS regulation to the European Commission. The notification was performed at the highest level of assurance and was published by the Commission at 26.09.2017 .
As part of the notification procedure, the German eID was peer reviewed by a group of expert of almost all EU Member States. As result of the peer review, the Member States adopted the opinion that the German eID fulfills all requirement of eIDAS Level of Assurance "high".
Until 29th September 2018, the EU Member States are now obliged to open their public online services that require an identification at level of assurance ‚substantial‘ or higher for use with the German eID. Private services within the EU may regognise the German eID on a volutary basis.
Besides the resolution of the draft law act for the promotion of electronic identification and the improvement of conditions for the mobile use of the German eID via NFC compliant smartphones and tablet computer, the notification of the German eID poses an important step towards further encouraging the use and distribution of the German eID.
The notification process of the electronic identity proof consists of the following steps:
- Pre-Notification: Transmission of the notification documents to the European Commission and to the other EU Member States
- Peer Review: Optional review of the eID system (maximum 3 months)
- Notification (at the earliest 6 months after Pre-Notification)
- Publication of the Notification by COM (at the latest 2 months after Notification)
- Mandatory Recognition by the other EU Member States (at the latest 12 months after Publication, but no earlier than 29 September 2018)
The German Federal Office for Information Security (BSI) has actively accompanied the whole notification process and prepared the necessary technical documents for the notification.
Technical Notification documents:
- German eID - Overview of the German eID system - Version 1.2 (PDF, 1MB, File is accessible)
The Whitepaper gives an overview over the German eID and the integration into the eIDAS
- German eID - LOA-Mapping - Version 1.2 (PDF, 514KB, File is accessible)
This document contains the proof that the German eID meets all the requirements of the trust level „high“ according to the relevant Implementing Regulation.
- German eID - Fulfilment of the interoperability requirements according to (EU) 2015/1501 - Version 1.2 (PDF, 349KB, File is accessible)
This document contains the proof of the interoperability capability of the German eID according to the relevant Implementing Regulation.
- German eID - Supporting Documentation - Version 1.2 (PDF, 230KB, File is accessible)
The Documentation gives an overview over relevant laws, ordinances and technical documents referring to the German eID.
Documents submitted for pre-notification
- German eID - Overview of the German eID system (PDF, 1MB, File is accessible)
- German eID - LOA-Mapping (PDF, 630KB, File is accessible)
- German eID - Fulfilment of the interoperability requirements according to (EU) 2015/1501 (PDF, 245KB, File is accessible)
- German eID - Supporting Documentation (PDF, 269KB, File is accessible)
Due to the nature of the German eID system without a central component, the German eID scheme is integrated into the eIDAS Interoperability Framework [eIDAS IF] via the middleware integration model in accordance with the eIDAS technical specifications.
For that purpose, Germany provides middleware (‘German eIDAS-Middleware’) to the other Member States and the European Commission. The German eIDAS-Middleware implements an adapted eID Server with an eIDAS interface based on Part 3 of Technical Guideline BSI TR-03130 and performs the server side of the authentication procedure with the German eID.
The German Federal Office for Information Security together with partners from industry carried out the technical work regarding the integration of the German eID into the different systems of the other EU member states.
Minimum data set
|eIDAS MDS||German eID|
|Tabelle: Minimum Data Set provided by the German eID scheme|
|Current family name(s)||Family name|
|Current first name(s)||First name|
|Date of birth||Date of birth|
|First name(s) and family name(s) at birth||Birth name (if present on the eID card)|
|Place of birth||Place of birth|