eIDAS Notification of the German eID
On 20.02.2017, Germany initiated the notification procedure of the German eID contained on the German ID card and the electronic residence permit according to Article 9 of eIDAS Regulation. The notification is initiated with the aim to reach the highest trust level („high“) in accordance with the eIDAS Regulation.
As of 29 September 2018 and after completion of the notification process, all EU Member States are obliged a to open up their electronic administrative procedures for use with the German eID. Companies within the EU's territory may also recognise the German on a voluntary basis.
Besides the resolution of the draft law for the promotion of electronic identification and the creation of conditions for the mobile use of the German eID via smartphones and tablet computer, the notification of the German eID poses an important step towards further encouraging the use and distribution of the German eID.
The notification process of the electronic identity proof consists of the following steps:
- Pre-Notification: Transmission of the notification documents to the European Commission and to the other EU Member States
- Peer Review: Optional review of the eID system (maximum 3 months)
- Notification (at the earliest 6 months after Pre-Notification)
- Publication of the Notification by COM (at the latest 2 months after Notification)
- Mandatory Recognition by the other EU Member States (at the latest 12 months after Publication, but no earlier than 29 September 2018)
The German Federal Office for Information Security (BSI) prepared the necessary documents for the notification.
- German eID - Overview of the German eID system (PDF, 1MB, File is accessible)
The Whitepaper gives an overview over the German eID and the integration into the eIDAS
- German eID - LOA-Mapping (PDF, 630KB, File is accessible)
This document contains the proof that the German eID meets all the requirements of the trust level „high“ according to the relevant Implementing Regulation.
- German eID - Fulfilment of the interoperability requirements according to (EU) 2015/1501 (PDF, 245KB, File is accessible)
This document contains the proof of the interoperability capability of the German eID according to the relevant Implementing Regulation.
- German eID - Supporting Documentation (PDF, 269KB, File is accessible)
The Documentation gives an overview over relevant laws, ordinances and technical documents referring to the German eID.
Due to the nature of the German eID system without a central component, the German eID scheme is integrated into the eIDAS Interoperability Framework [eIDAS IF] via the middleware integration model in accordance with the eIDAS technical specifications.
For that purpose, Germany provides middleware (‘German eIDAS-Middleware’) to the other Member States and the European Commission. The German eIDAS-Middleware implements an adapted eID Server with an eIDAS interface based on Part 3 of Technical Guideline BSI TR-03130 and performs the server side of the authentication procedure with the German eID.
The German Federal Office for Information Security together with partners from industry carried out the technical work regarding the integration of the German eID into the different systems of the other EU member states.
Minimum data set
|eIDAS MDS||German eID|
|Tabelle: Minimum Data Set provided by the German eID scheme|
|Current family name(s)||Family name|
|Current first name(s)||First name|
|Date of birth||Date of birth|
|First name(s) and family name(s) at birth||Birth name (if present on the eID card)|
|Place of birth||Place of birth|