BSI TR-03105 Conformity Tests for Official Electronic ID Documents
The greatest challenge impending with the introduction of electronic travel documents might be the safeguarding of the international interoperability of electronic passports and the associated reading devices.
To accommodate these factors the Federal Office for Information Security (BSI) has released the "Technical Guideline BSI TR-03105 – ePassport Conformity Testing (TR-ePass)" in the year 2005. TR-ePass objects to provide test specifications ensuring the international interoperability of electronic travel documents.
About Version 2.0
As a result of advancement of the smart card and RFID technology and as a result of the experiences of the conformity tests of the accredited test houses, the need of adapting the test specifications to the current technical developments came up.
The parts of the TR-03105 were adapted and updated to these innovations. The structure of the TR-03105 was arranged more clearly. Due the need of comparability of the old version and this revised version the structure is similar in its main parts. Thus, the correlation of the parts for the old and the new version ís possible .
With regard to the introduction of the electronic identity card (ePA / eID) the test specification for EAC 2.0 is already considered in the current version of the TR-03105. The extension of the TR-03105 toward eID cards required a change of name. The title "ePassport Conformity Testing (TR-ePass)" was replaced by the title "Conformity Testing for Official electronics ID document".
Structure of the TR
The BSI TR-03105 is divided into several partial documents. Each of them cover a subrange of the smart card and/or reader tests.
- BSI TR-03105 Conformity Tests for Official Electronic ID Documents Version 2.5 (PDF, 132KB, File is accessible)
- BSI TR-03105 Part 1.1 A framework for Official Electronic ID Document conformity tests, Version 1.04.1 (PDF, 413KB, File does not meet accessibility standards)
- BSI TR-03105 Part 1.2 Component Specification RFID, Version 1.02.1 (PDF, 112KB, File does not meet accessibility standards)
Chip Tests on Layers 1-4
- BSI TR-03105 Part 2 Test Plan for Official Electronic ID Documents with Secure Contactless Integrated Circuit, Version 3.0 (PDF, 590KB, File is accessible)
Chip Tests on Layers 6-7
- BSI TR-03105 Part 3.1 Test plan for eMRTD Application Protocol and Logical Data Structure, Version 1.2 (PDF, 221KB, File is accessible)
- BSI TR-03105 Part 3.2 Test plan for eMRTDs with EACv1 Version 1.3 (PDF, 4MB, File does not meet accessibility standards)
- BSI TR-03105 Part 3.2 Test plan for eMRTDs with EACv1 Version 1.4.1 (PDF, 3MB, File does not meet accessibility standards)
- BSI TR-03105 Part 3.4 Test plan for eID-cards with eSign-application acc. to BSI TR-03117 (PDF, 1,002KB, File is accessible)
Reader Tests on Layers 1-4
- BSI TR-03105 Part 4 Test plan for ICAO compliant Proximity Coupling Device (PCD) on Layer 1-4 Version 3.0 (PDF, 675KB, File is accessible)
Reader Tests on Layers 6-7
- BSI TR-03105 Part 5.1 Test plan for ICAO compliant Inspection Systems with EACv1, Version 1.41 (PDF, 2MB, File does not meet accessibility standards)
- BSI TR-03105-5 ReferenceDataSet (zip, 312KB, File does not meet accessibility standards)
For the parts 2 to 5 an application for conformity certification can be submited to the BSI.